3 Pin Fan connector used on the ATX Motherboard.
3 PIN IDC FEMALE at the fan and 3 PIN IDC MALE header at the motherboard.
|2||+12VDC or +5VDC||red|
- Not all fans or motherboards control or power the fan assemblies the same way.
- Fans may be either 5 Volt DC or 12 Volt DC fans.
- Colors may change.
- Chassis and CPU fans may use either 3-pin or 4-pin power
connectors. 3-pin connectors are usually used for the smaller
chassis fans with lower power consumption. 4-pin connectors are
usually used by CPU fans with higher power consumption. Fans and
on-board fan headers are backwards compatible. Proper fan connector
placement is shown in the figures below:
- Fan has a 3-pin power connector; desktop board has a 4-pin fan header: Note: when using a 3-pin power connector with a 4-pin fan header, the fan will always be on; there is no fan control.
- Fan has a 4-pin power connector; desktop board has a 3-pin fan header: